Legal Victory for Catholics in Ukraine
After a legal struggle lasting over a decade, the Church of Saint Joseph in the city of Dnepropetrowsk in eastern Ukraine has finally been returned to the Latin-rite Catholic Church.
The building was solemnly reconsecrated this August, at the end of the month, according to information given recently to Aid to the Church in Need (ACN) by the Franciscan Capuchin priest, Fr. Jerzy Zielinski. This church was originally confiscated and closed in 1949 by the local communist government and has changed ownership several times since.
The dedication ceremony of St. Joseph’s Church was attended by bishops, priests and faithful from all over Ukraine. It began with a solemn procession of the Most Blessed Sacrament through the streets of Dnepropetrowsk. The faithful also stood guard over the Church so that nothing would happen to it leading up to the reconsecration ceremony.